Goths, Gamers, and Grrrls: Deviance and Youth Subcultures introduces students to the sociological study of deviance, equipping them with the theoretical tools necessary to analyze various youth subcultures–and virtually any subculture–in new and fascinating ways. In this revised and updated second edition, author Ross Haenfler examines eight different youth subcultures in depth: skinheads, punk rock/hardcore/straight edge, hip hop, heavy metal, virginity pledgers, Goths, gamers and hackers, and riot grrrls. Each chapter begins with a brief description and history of the scene before exploring a specific sociological concept or theory.
New to this Edition
* New discussion questions in each chapter
* New research on youth subcultures including transitions to adulthood
* Additional details in the histories of skinhead, punk, hip hop, and other music scenes, and a new discussion of the impact of virginity pledgers
* Updated chapter on gamers and hackers reflecting new developments in technology
* Expanded explanations in the introduction and conclusion on the social significance of youth cultures and the importance of subcultural studies
* New and updated end-of-chapter resources